Sunday, December 11, 2005

AFI Awards 2005


Here in the time when critics’ awards sprout up like weeds, the American Film Institute has stepped up to the plate with their selections of the top 10 movies and TV shows of the year.

The Films:
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
The Forty-Year Old Virgin
Good Night, and Good Luck
A History of Violence
King Kong
Munich
The Squid and the Whale
Syriana

The TV shows:
24
Battlestar Galactica
Deadwood
Grey’s Anatomy
House
Lost
Rescue Me
Sleeper Cell
Sometimes in April
Veronica Mars

The AFI certainly likes to keep it eclectic, don’t they? (I have absolutely no idea what Sometimes in April is or was so I guess, according to them anyway, I missed something there.)

4 comments:

Very Anonymous Mike said...

I have more to say, but for now I'm just saying that in the past five years, television has become smarter than the movies.

Hollywood wants to know why people aren't going anymore. It's because the movie going audience, (I sat behind a 4 and 5 year old at "Cannibal." I swear!) the cost, the cost of snacks, the relatively low cost of a home theatre system, and Hollywood's value of CGI over story.

landismom said...

I agree on with mike on the idea that tv is smarter than movies (at least, smart tv. I'm not sure about SuperNanny, or whatever.)

I'm much more driven by the kinds of compelling story telling found on Deadwood or Veronica Mars than I am by the plots of most Hollywood movies.

abd al-Hadi said...

Hey Mike! Post on Live Journal! I want to see you there also! I love your blog!

Marie said...

I have not seen ONE of those movies.